Friday, December 11, 2020

How to Give Your Mother a Heart Attack

Ah, the story about Genius Kid's car I mentioned on Wednesday...
 
Any parent knows the terror of a teen with a driver's license. However, Genius Kid has always been an excellent driver. Safety-conscious. Aware of his responsibilities. When he was about to leave the house, I'd say, "Be careful." He'd roll his eyes, and I would add, "It's not your driving I worry about, sweetie. It's the other assholes on the road."
 
So, Monday night, Darling Husband got a text from GK. It read, "I was just in an accident."

The last time I saw that particular expression on DH's face was the night his mother died. For a moment, I couldn't breathe.

DH texted back, "Are you okay?"

GK: "Yeah. I'll call you in a while."
 
It was a tense couple of hours before GK was back at his barracks and called us.

Sure enough, it was another asshole who rear-ended GK. Thankfully, no one was hurt, and there was another soldier with GK, who insisted on calling the cops. Their sergeant stepped in as the parental figure and helped GK with the details. Our insurance company jumped on the situation that night. GK dropped off his car at the auto body shop today. If all goes well, GK will be able to depart on his holiday leave next Friday as planned.

But those two hours waiting for GK to call were the worst in my life.
 
Even though DH pointed out the kid was well enough to text us.

Goes to show your child is never too old for you to worry about them.

No comments:

Post a Comment