Wednesday, May 12, 2021

What Is a Writer?

The question isn't rhetorical. If I asked a thousand people, I'd have close to a thousand different answers.

Those definitions of writer range the gamut of human experience. You're a writer if you journal for yourself. You're a writer if you write one book and it never gets published. You're a writer if you only write poems. You're a writer if you only write short stories or novels.

You're a writer if you write every day. You're a writer if you're a NYT best-selling author.

I could keep going, but you get the point. So, what am I?

Gentlefolk, I AM NOT a writer.

I can hear the gasps and the "WHAT!"s from you all. But it's true.

I am a storyteller. My preferred medium is the written word.

You see, we all get to define ourselves in this world, despite what other people think or say. I'm not saying all the definitions above are false. They are true, if they are true to you. No one else's opinion matters.

Now, pardon me while I get back to my current wip.

Because I can't wait to see what happens next in the story.

No comments:

Post a Comment