Monday, September 13, 2021

Coronavirus Pandemic Day 552 - I Do Matter

Known Coronavirus Cases in the U.S. -- 41,547,621
Known Coronavirus Deaths in the U.S. -- 670,527

I've heard variations of the words "You don't matter" all my life.

I'm a female so I don't matter.

I don't have a college education so I don't matter.

I have a college education so I don't matter/

I like Star Trek so I don't matter.

I live in rural America so I don't matter.

I live in urban America so don't matter.

I'm not an athlete so I don't matter.

I'm a bookworm so I don't matter

And I could keep going, but you get the gist.

It's tiring, right? Except now, I have some measure of  peace in my own home with a flower garden. But what happens to the people who can't find that peace. The ones who can't escape all the voices and actions that scream they don't matter.

Social justice warrior is a dirty word in our society. Those against it want to cling to their fragile illusion of power. But it's power based on cruelty. That cruelty is wielded to break all the bonds of fairness that people are trying to weave together. How nasty can we be to our fellow humans before we break inside?

I do matter. And so do all of you.

No comments:

Post a Comment