Wednesday, April 26, 2023

The New Shiny!

I'm at the stage of finishing a bunch of projects within the next couple of weeks. And like clockwork, the Muse wants to jump on the new project.

NOW!

I don't understand the folks who complain about not getting ideas. I literally can't shut my brain off. I get stories out of my head and on paper/screen as fast as I can. However, the Muse fills up the empty gray matter as fast as she can.

The weird thing is the new series I'm planning to finish over the summer isn't new. It was actually started nearly twenty years. In fact, I was halfway through writing the first novel. Then I made a huge mistake.

I showed my work-in-progress to a NYTBS author I really admired. She told me it sucked.

Talk about a gut punch.

I put away the pages and files for that story. It hurt too much to look at them. Then a couple of years ago, I was re-organizing my work spaces, physical and electronic in preparation for moving to the current house. I found that old half-novel. I started to read it.

And you know something. It wasn't bad. In fact, it was pretty good. Yes, I've grown as a writer. That was pretty obvious. But the overall story is pretty cool. And I really want to finish the series now.

But I need to finish the other stuff I've promised people.

First, I need more caffeine!

No comments:

Post a Comment