Friday, August 4, 2023

Grooving on the Writing and Deer!

I went to Starbucks yesterday to write. It felt good sitting quietly in a cafe and tapping away on the keyboard. So good I did 1200 words in one sitting. It's been a while since I could do that. I guess the last year of the pandemic stressed me more than I realized.

This is the first picture I took when I arrived in Boise. Tracie was showing me around their house, and we stepped out into the backyard. The mule deer buck stuck to the shade int the neighbors and nibbled on some greens.

His new horns are pretty fuzzy, and he didn't seem to care we were out there until I got too close to the fence. But instead of taking off, he saunters a few steps away and kept an eye on me.

For those who don't live in the western portion of the U.S., the mule deer, or black-tailed deer, is so named because their tails resemble a mule's, as opposed to the white-tailed deer that like to go traipsing through our yard in Ohio.

I expect wildlife in rural Ohio, but Boise is a major metropolitan city. Tracie lives a few blocks from downtown. But it's still high desert and was 100 degrees the afternoon I arrived, so I don't blame the little guy for wanting a little shade and a bite of green.

No comments:

Post a Comment