Friday, October 21, 2011

R*E*S*P*E*C*T Redux

On her Wednesday blog post, Kris Rusch talked about a couple of editors who treated her like she was stupid.  This is a woman who's been in the business for thirty years, who has worn all the hats someone can in the publishing industry, who's won a freakin' HUGO, but she was treated like dirt.  The title of the blog post was R*E*S*P*E*C*T.

Ironically, I wish I could say I was surprised, but I've hit a similar wall myself. That's the reason last Saturday's indie-themed music video was Miz Aretha belting out her anthem.

I've learned to walk away when someone treats me like crap. It was a hard lesson to learn, especially since our society trains little girls from the start that they need to please others in order to have any worth. We're not just talking old boyfriends or employers. I had to walk away from my own mother several years ago. (Let's just say she has "issues.")

I worry about the writers who sign the shitty contracts, who take the disrespect from their agents and editors.  Nothing is more valuable than their self-worth.  But until they figure that out, people in the publishing industry will continue to take advantage of these writers.

You've got to stand up for yourself in this life. No one else will do it for you.  It doesn't matter if it's your spouse or your boss or your business partner. Like I said, it's hard. But you'll be able to face yourself in the mirror every morning if you do.

No comments:

Post a Comment