Wednesday, August 19, 2020

On the Road Again

I'm writing this blog from a hotel in Memphis. I'd like to explore it more thoroughly. It's rich in culture and history. Every other time I've been here, I'm passing through to somewhere else I need to be by a specific date and time.

Today, I have the time, but I'm trapped in my hotel room by a disease.

It's been an experience traveling across the Midwest and South. The dichotomy between those who take COVID-19 seriously and those who still believe its a hoax. There was a McDonald's in San Angelo,Texas, where everyone wore gloves and masks. They even offered us a antiseptic wipes at the drive-thru window.

Then there was the Pilot Travel Center in North Little Rock, Arkansas. Eleven women were crowded in the tiny bathroom together. The manager and a customer were both complaining about the mask rules, and I watched the manager rip his off his face. Fewer than a third of the customers wore masks despite signs on the doors that they were required. I turned around and walked out. At the car, I told DH I would hold it until we found another spot.

Up until that Pilot this evening, I felt relatively safe. Most people were taking appropriate safety measures. But the crap I saw explains why over 170,000 people are dead.

All I can do is shake my head and bath in hand sanitizer.

No comments:

Post a Comment