Wednesday, June 9, 2021

The Fear of Trying New Avenues

I'm looking at trying some new avenues as far as book distribution goes. I'll keep track of my efforts and report on them. However, I want to address something.

There is invariably, in all our lives, that well-meaning friend. You know the one. The one that wants to protect you from yourself. But the truth is they are afraid of whatever new idea they are faced with.

It's not that they are bad people. Also, evolution gave us fear to protect us. So we don't do something stupid like pet the sabertooth tiger because it's such a pretty kitty.

But some of us emotionally overreact to fear like those of us with allergies overreact to various pollens. What should be a minor irritant turns us into a quivering wreck. And the last thing these friends want is to see someone they care about turn into that same quivering wreck.

So my silence on these new avenues isn't because I'm hiding the golden key from anyone. It's because I don't want the well-meaning advice of "That's a stupid idea."

No comments:

Post a Comment