Monday, August 2, 2021

Coronavirus Pandemic Day 510 - Delta Cases Are Rising

In the United States to date, we have:

35,039,644 known cases of COVID-19
618,207 known deaths from COVID-19

I know damn well those numbers are under reported. Friends who've had it were told by their doctors to stay the fuck home unless they had trouble breathing. Hell, even my own doctor had to end up in ICU before he took it seriously.

And things are getting worse with the Delta variant now. Ohio had 2,388 new confirmed case last Thursday alone.

Frankly, I went back to wearing masks anytime I'm in public after a vaccinated friend developed a break-thru infection. Her husband was right that the vaccine prevented her from ending up in the hospital. However, it was a stark reminder that I'm still in the high-risk group. Like my oncology appointment last week wasn't enough of a reminder.  :P

The sharp rise is also putting our fall plans into doubt. Assuming Adorable Spawn comes to visit for Halloween, I worry about putting him at risk by exposing him to the rest of the family even if they have their vaccine. I'm also questioning my trip to Vegas in November since so many of the people I plan to meet up with are going to other writers conferences this summer and fall, including a major one in Florida.

Yeah, Florida. Where they announced a record 21,683 NEW cases on Saturday. Florida where the governor threatened healthcare workers for reporting their numbers to the CDC. Florida, a state with a large at-risk population and less than 51% are vaccinated. It makes me wonder how many cases there really are.

So, we're looking at another wave of cases this summer and fall. It's not good news.

No comments:

Post a Comment