Monday, August 16, 2021

Coronavirus Pandemic Day 524 - Will Monday Movie Mania Ever Come Back?

Prior to the COVID-19 pandemic, I had a regular feature on my blog where I reviewed whatever motion picture DH and I had seen at the local theater over the weekend.

Back in the early days of our marriage, Friday was date night. We hit a local restaurant and went to see a movie. EVERY Friday. When Oscar nominations came out, we'd viewed nearly every nominee. Those we hadn't seen yet? Well, that was the mission--see them before the actual awards broadcast.

Once GK was born, we had to back off on trips to the theater until he was old enough to go with us.

I was thrilled when 2020 rolled around. There were lots of things scheduled for release I wanted to see. GK was off being an adult. And DH and I started off with Birds of Prey.

That turned out to be the last movie we saw in the theater. When I returned from a writers' workshop, we discussed seeing Bloodshot at the theater. I didn't feel comfortable going since I tend to pick up every germ in a ten-mile radius. The following Monday, Governor DeWine shut down Ohio.

We've resorted to watching new or recent releases on one of the various streaming services we subscribe to. Granted, it's not the same as being in a theater with greasy popcorn and a zillion mouthbreathers.

However, I don't know if the change in venue is affecting my perceptions, or if the movies I would normally love have truly gone downhill.

Wonder Woman '84 could have been better. Bloodshot was boring even by Vin Diesel standards And don't get me started about The Suicide Squad.

Stellar cast, stellar director, and a what-the-holy-fuck script.

I know things won't be the same after the pandemic, but I'm damn well going to deliver better entertainment in my books than the crap I've been watching lately.

You people deserve it.

No comments:

Post a Comment