Monday, May 13, 2024

Monday Movie Mania - The Fall Guy

Ahhhh! The 1980's. The good ole' days. When men were men, and violence filled the airwaves!

The Fall Guy takes '80's male toxicity and twists it around so it's an delightful ode to the movie stunt profession. Loosely based on the series that was Lee Majors' follow-up to The Six Million Dollar Man, this flick doesn't take itself too seriously. Frankly, it's nice to see a movie with more practical effects than CGI while at the same time, acknowledging the massive changes in the movie industry.


******


SPOILERS


******


PROS
1) This is the first romantic action comedy movie since Romancing the Stone that had me laughing my ass off.

2) Ryan Gosling proved he has true comedic chops in Barbie (I don't count Crazy, Stupid, Love), but this movie with Ryan as Colt Seavers cements his talent in that arena.

3) Hannah Waddingham was delightful as the insane producer of the movie Metalstorm.

4) Ever since I saw Emily Blunt in The Devil Wears Prada, she can do no wrong in my book. This role also gives Jody more power than she had in the series.

5) Lee Majors and Heather Thomas, the stars of the original Fall Guy series, made pitch perfect cameos. I only wish Douglas Barr had also been included.

6) All the little Easter eggs relating to Lee Majors' career had me laughing my ass off.


CONS
1) We needed a little more of Winston Duke as Dan, Colt's best friend and the stunt coordinator of MetalStorm.

2) They should have used Lee Majors' version of "Unknown Stuntman" instead of Blake Shelton's remake. Nothing against Blake, but Lee's version, or his own remake, would have added to the treasure of Lee Majors' Easter eggs.


This is the first really unexpectedly fun movie I've been to at the theater since the pandemic started. Overall, I give The Fall Guy 10 out of 10 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment