Monday, January 3, 2022

Coronavirus Pandemic Day 664 - Brand New Year!

Known COVID-19 cases in the U.S. - 54,850,527
Known COVID-19 deaths in the U.S. - 824,301

We entering the third year of the COVID-19 pandemic. People are getting tired of the whole situation. I get that. I really do.

DH and I had a lot of travel plans that were canceled the last two years. It totally sucked, especially after I worked so hard to get healthy after my cancer surgery. I'm tired of my glasses steaming up with a mask on. I'm tired of not being able to go to a coffee shop to sip hot drinks and people watch while my brain unravels a plot point.

While the country's media is focused on the Omicron variant, our county is seeing a sharp spike in the Delta variant. The two regional hospitals are full. To the point, the director of Blanchard Valley posted a plea for people not to come to the ER unless they are facing life-threatening injuries or conditions. In fact, DH and his sisters refused to take their dad (my FIL) to the ER.

No, they weren't being cruel. One of his meds can cause constipation, but he refuses to buzz the nurse to get a laxative, even though he's in an assisted living apartment and pays for the damn RN! The last time DH took his dad to the ER, they were stuck in the hallway for six hours. With the hospital full of COVID patients, it's not worth taking a chance even with him fully vaxxed and boostered.

Even worse, DH and I went to his cousin's funeral yesterday. (His son is the same age as GK.) Only a handful of people were masked. DH and I decided not to go to the wake.

I know it's not just me. I spoke with friends over the holidays. Most are like me, major and/or chronic health issues, and we really don't want to die. It's that simple. A big part of the issue is you don't know how your body's going to respond to COVID until you actually catch. It might by mild as a cold. It might kill you. To a lot of us, it's not worth the risk.

For now, I'll focus on writing. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that 2022 is much, MUCH better than 2020 or 2021!

No comments:

Post a Comment