Monday, March 28, 2022

One Crazy Week

Last Monday, my campaign for Soccer Moms of the Apocalypse funded its initial goal of $600. The problem was I knew who had pledged the money that tipped me over the goal.

And one of Kickstarter's terms and conditions is that you don't name your backers.

The rest of the week I got a few more pledges so when I went to bed at 5 AM on Friday, my campaign was nearly at $700. I was satisfied it funded. When I stumbled out of the bedroom at 3:30 PM and retrieved some caffeine, my phone was buzzing every minute or so. While I waited for my laptop to boot up, I started checking texts, voicemail, and email on the phone. And then, the computer started dinging as I logged into various communication and social programs.

My benefactor had outted himself, and it was none other than Brandon Sanderson. He not only donated to Soccer Moms of the Apocalypse but 316 other publishing campaigns. He and his team filmed themselves doing it and loaded the video onto YouTube. They mentioned Soccer Moms of the Apocalypse by name, and they made a point of posting the link to my campaign on the YouTube page.

So now I can talk about it. But Brandon tells the story better...



DH insisted we had to watch Brandon's video during dinner Friday night instead of Jeopardy!

This situation goes to prove there is a certain amount of luck involved in this crazy business. I took a major chance with an oddball series by throwing myself on the mercy of the public. And by doing so, I was in the right place at the right time for someone I don't know to shine a spotlight in my direction.

However, I owe a bigger thank you to all of Brandon's fans who took a chance on a writer they never heard of. I hope they enjoy my books!

No comments:

Post a Comment