Friday, March 18, 2022

Why Are We Repeating the 20th Century?

It's been a rough week on both the home front and in the world.

The FIL is in the hospital with a broken hip. Putin is ordering hospitals and theaters blown up. Omicron is sweeping through Asia.

And I'm trying to write the second book in what is supposed to be a lighthearted fantasy series.

I've been doing my best to stay off the news cycle, but it's hard to avoid everything. Family and friends have been calling and texting in their efforts to distract themselves. Last night, my sprinting partner and I ended up talking publishing industry gossip because both of us were worn out from our week.

And I can't help but wonder about the adage, "Those that forget history are doomed to repeat it."

My grandparents were all born in the '10's and '20's of last century. My oldest grandparent remembered the Spanish Flu and WWI. They all lived through the Great Depression, and it severely affected their views on money and food.

And they were all adults, married with children, when WWII broke out.

The other night, DH and I had to explain the nuclear war drills when we were in grade school. At GK's birth, I thought he wouldn't have to worry about that shit.

Boy, was I wrong!

I find myself watching repeats of  Friends. The '90's seem to be the one relatively stable time in my life. Which means only two of my grandparents ever saw any stability in their entire lives. Except the '90's was when their health really went downhill. They both passed in the next decade. So maybe their view may be a lot different than mine.

If you feel the need to do something to help Ukaine (and I don't mean harassing refugees by proselytizing them), may I suggest World Central Kitchen?

World Central Kitchen #Chefs for Ukraine - https://wck.org/relief/activation-chefs-for-ukraine

No comments:

Post a Comment