Wednesday, October 12, 2022

A Postcard form the Edge of the Continent

I like getting things in the mail. Call me old-fashioned, but I grew up in a time where if you lived in rural America, you depended on mail order through paper catalogs, most particularly the Sears & Roebuck one for us. Malls were only in the big cities back then.

To me, it didn't matter if it were underwear from Sears, postcards from my grandparents' travels, or books that I ordered from the back page of a previous paperback I'd bought (yes, there was a time when you could order books directly from the publisher), I loved getting something in the mail.

People got away from sending personal mail over the last fifty-plus years. Cell phones, the internet, heck, we've gone full circle from the telegraph to texting. Even the friends my age usually send me a text on my birthday. And I'm guilty of doing the same.

But today, I got a postcard from Christy Fifield, a writer whose Kickstarter I supported. She lives in the PNW, right on the coast. We met once, before the plague times. But the postcard of Redwood Highway 1 Christy sent gave me the warm fuzzies.

Why? I admit a little bit of it was nostalgia. A larger part was someone taking the time to write out a message, stick a stamp on the card, and putting it in the mail. It's a little more effort than typing an e-mail, and that effort makes me feel all warm and tingly inside.

So thanks for making my day, Christy!

No comments:

Post a Comment