Monday, May 11, 2020

Coronavirus Pandemic Day 61 - The Insanity Side Effect

Maybe its a Midwestern thing, but customers politely and quietly lined up around the building of our local doughnut shop yesterday morning. It was Mother's Day, and DH popped over to get me my favorite doughnuts, chocolate long johns, for my present. Everyone was staying six feet apart and wearing masks.

But just a four hours up the road in Flint, a security guard was shot and killed because (a) he was black, and (b) he was doing his fucking job.

After two months of quarantine, people's anxieties and fear have turned to rage and fury.

And more death.

I've had people complain that my characters are too emotional. However, they face death, worldwide destruction, and demons without losing their basic humanity. However, real life people are losing their shit, shooting people because they can't sit down at an Oklahoma McDonald's, and shooting the staff. But MY characters are too emotional?

I hate to tell you this, but things are going to get worse before they get better. And the longer people act like assholes, the longer its going to take. But the people acting like assholes aren't my readers (as shown by some weird reviews I gotten over the 888-555-HERO series).

So, to my readers, please, PLEASE stay safe. I'll see what I can do about throwing a few freebies your way over the rest of this year. But for now, hold your children as much as possible and call the loved ones you can't visit.

We'll get through this. Together.

2 comments:

  1. The difference between fiction and reality is that fiction has to make some fucking sense. :P

    Applying that to characters, I think it translates as, "Fictional characters have to behave in a way that I could at least kind of see myself behaving." Some of these assholes out here in real life in the Plague Times, I can't imagine myself behaving like that regardless of circumstances. :/

    ReplyDelete