Monday, March 8, 2021

Coronavirus Pandemic Day 363 - Jumping the Gun

29,293,090 known COVID-19 cases in the U.S., and 530,614 known dead from the disease.

A year ago, DH and I sat across from each other in the local Applebee's and debated what would happen with COVID-19. The week before, the news broadcast announced the first death when I was on a layover in St. Louis. As we ate, hospitals in New York were becoming overwhelmed. No one was totally sure how the disease was spreading. There was a lingering unease even in our little town.

Less than a week later, my father-in-law's assisted living facility was closed to visitors. Two days later, the Ohio governor shut down the state.

A year later, Texas's governor is reopening the state. The CDC says it's far too early, and I agree. The new British variant is already spreading through the U.S. while we barely have 10% of the population vaccinated.

I worry because GK and his girlfriend are stationed in Texas. I worry because my unborn grandson doesn't have a choice in the matter. I worry because they want us down in San Antonio for the baby's birth, and the last thing I want is to expose them to COVID-19.

I'm glad Ohio's Governor Dewine is upholding the masking and social distancing efforts. We aren't out of the woods yet. But there is some hope on the horizon.

On Thursday, my and DH's age group can sign up for appointments to get oue vaccines. It's not a perfect solution, but if it helps us to welcome the grandkid into the world, then it's a little less worry on my soul.

2 comments:

  1. I hope everything works out for you and the kids and the grandkid. :/ When we fall it won't be because of a huge disaster -- it'll be because a critical mass of human beings were just that fucking stupid.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL I think the last five years have proved that.

      Delete