Friday, March 26, 2021

Kickstarter and the Weirdness of a Mid-range Career

I'm in the odd position of not being a beginning professional writer. After releasing fifty books, I hardly qualify. Yet most classes or courses are aimed at newbies. It's a bit frustrating.

Because I know there are things missing from my repertoire. Lots of things. Like some aspects of marketing. I just don't know enough yet to ask all the right questions.

So I've been experimenting with some advanced courses. The big one lately involves learning how to run a Kickstarter.

Why Kickstarter? Because I want to experiment with issuing hardcovers, and Kickstarter seems to be a way to kill the proverbial birds with one stone. It would *hopefully* increase my readership through a new avenue while evaluating the interest in my tiny little publishing company issuing a new medium.

Ironically, there's a Kickstarter about running a Kickstarter right now. Crowdfunding Your Fiction: Best Practices seems to be a good starting point. Why? I was at the writer's workshop where Loren Coleman asked his initial questions.

Frankly, a crowd-funded book wasn't something I'd considered before. I didn't think I had the audience for it to be a worthwhile endeavor. But I'm reconsidering the idea. I've already purchased the covers for a new fantasy trilogy that won't be written until late this year at the soonest, and I planned for a 2022 release.

So I've got some learning to do if I want to use that trilogy as a Kickstarter.

This will be so much fun. *rubs hands gleefully*

No comments:

Post a Comment