Wednesday, July 6, 2022

Changing Covers

It's interesting to watch the shift in cover design over time. Even the trad publishers are realizing they need to have a design that's understandable in thumbnail size. They need fonts that are large and clear enough for the title and author name.

Even art for covers is shifting. Many use abstract patterns, objects that frame the text, or a single object for the image.


Why am I so concerned about covers?

I've updated my older series, Seasons of Magick and Bloodlines, once already, but I'm coming up on the tenth anniversary of the Justice series. Is it time to refresh the covers?

What about the covers I've already commissioned or purchased for future series? Keep them or get new ones? I hate throwing money down the drain.


There's also the creativity factor. I'm often inspired with new story ideas by viewing a piece of art. Except I may not get to that story for a year or two or ten down the line. By then, it's out of date with the market.

Or I could simply wait until that style of cover becomes popular again.

For you indie writer/publishers out there, how often do you update your covers?


No comments:

Post a Comment