Friday, July 22, 2022

How to Get an Idea

"Where do you get your ideas?"

Seriously, folks. Don't ask a working writer that question. You're going to get a bullshit answer.

If you do it to me, I'll say, "Neil Gaiman's trash bin."

I've said it before--ideas are a dime a dozen. There's no such thing as a perfect idea. There's really not. There's no such thing as an original idea. There's really not. It's all about the execution.

But if you want to be a writer, start making up shit in your head. Now. Don't wait for a muse to strike. Don't wait for the perfect idea.

That's the reason I showed you the covers I made in the Covers 101 class I took last month. I was doing effing homework! And still came up with a ideas for two series.

I could write about Ebony and Jett, the two black squirrels that romp through our back yard. Or their rivalry with Rusty and Lady Gaga, a pair of gray squirrels in the neighboring tree.

But if you're one of the people who needs an idea spoonfed to you, take the editorial photo I posted above. Are the couple breaking up? Did one of them declare their love? Did she just announce her pregnancy? Are they planning their first trip as a couple? Does he want to try the new micro brewery in their neighborhood?

That last paragraph? Those are all the ideas I typed out in fifteen seconds. (I'm a slow typist.) Try doing it yourself. Take a random picture, and start asking questions.  That's all there is to it.

No comments:

Post a Comment