Monday, August 15, 2022

Monday with Mom

I'm sitting in the family room paying on bills with Mom running on Hulu. It may seem like I'm not really working, I am studying writing, especially dialogue.

I've been following Chuck Lorre's career for over thirty years now. His favorite theme is opposites attract, but his second favorite is found family, which is a theme in a lot of my series. And he surrounds himself with people who are equally talented if not more so.

The snappy dialogue meshes nicely with the emotions of the characters. There are not exactly love-hate relationships in the shows he's created or written for, but the writing acknowledges the little things that get on the characters' nerves never trumps the affection they feel for each other.

Watching Mom, Dharma & Greg, The Big Bang Theory, Mike & Molly, etc., offers excellent lessons on creating characters and dialogue writing. I strongly suggest watching these shows no matter what your chosen genre is.

No comments:

Post a Comment