Wednesday, April 10, 2024

Errands and Accidental Insults

I had a bunch of errands to run today after yoga. Picking up my prescription drugs. Dropping off paperwork for Princess Bella's surgery in two weeks--nothing major, but somehow she managed to break two teeth at the end March, and they need to be pulled. Stop at our dentist and request a full accounting from December of 2023 until now because the company handling our Flex spending account had thrown a fit about the documentation we've already sent them.

Also, I stopped to get a haircut.

Not a big deal, right? The stylist asked how my day was, and I said, "I'm running errands." He was like, "Oh, errands." I shrugged and said, "It beats being at work."

And I apparently offended him.

Oops!

And running errands did beat sitting at home, staring at the laptop screen, because I got stuck on a scene right before I went to bed last night. Ironically, I was able to work out a solution to the story in my head while he cut my hair in total silence.

It was pretty obvious he assumed I was a Karen. Most probably a wife of some Marathon Petroleum executive. But he didn't ask what I did for a living, and when he got huffy, I didn't offer.

I get it. Sometimes, it's hard for people to make a living, and I know I've been graced with certain privileges. However, my life has been all over the place. I've headed the probate division of a law firm, and I've worked three jobs while homeschooling an eight-year-old.

But good grief! I'm getting my hair cut at a discount place, not at a fancy, schmancy salon. Think it through, man!

Should I have apologized? Maybe. But I stubbornly dig my heels whenever someone jumps to conclusions about me. And that's the same whether it's a stylist in Findlay, Ohio, or the mom at GH's daycare who turned her nose up at me because she worked for Vinson & Elkins in Houston (second biggest law firm in the city), and I didn't.

No comments:

Post a Comment