Wednesday, June 8, 2022

Millersburg, Ohio - The True Story

Fifteen years ago, I had a meeting with an agent where I pitched Zombie Love. She immediately rejected the book because (a) she hated Los Angeles and (b) I'd never been there. She told me I could only write about what I knew and places I'd been.

Damn, I dodged a bullet there.

But at the time, I was pissed, and as a response, I wrote Amish, Vamps & Thieves.

I set the story in Millersburg, Ohio, which is the county seat of Holmes County. It's also the heart of the Ohio Amish community.

I grew up in a little town south of Millersburg. I went to college in another little town north of Millersburg. But I hadn't been there in thirty years. Things change, and I needed to learn about the 21st century version of the town I once knew.

I'd planned to visit when I started the Bloodlines spin-off series, Millerburg Magick Mysteries. But by the time I'd recovered from my cancer treatments and returned from a workshop in Las Vegas, the COVID-19 epidemic was blowing through the U.S.

So next month, DH and I are heading over to Millersburg to tour the town and do a little ghost hunting. I'll post pictures of the real life settings for the series. And hopefully, I'll have revisions for the first three books available soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment