Monday, January 16, 2023

Readers, Writers, and Characters

Darling Husband finished A Hint of Thief last night. Of course, he found a handful of typos I missed. But more, he asked when some things will finally be resolved.

I looked at him. "You do realize I've got four more books to go?"

"Only four?" His expression was reminiscent of an abused dog.

"I told you there were thirteen books. This is Book #9"

"Yeah, but you could write some more if you wanted." More puppy dog begging eyes.

Honestly, I've asked a few readers what they like about Anthea. According to some early writing instructors, she's the proverbial unlikable protagonist. She's crabby, broken, and harsh.

DH says she tries to do the right thing. Another reader says Anthea puts on a front that everyone knows isn't the real her. But the general consensus is she comes across as a real human being, both the warts and the good stuff.

It goes to show that a writer never knows what's going to resonate with readers. Or which characters.

And I admit I'm toying with the idea of doing another series with Anthea and one with Shi Hua. I'm not ready to let go of these characters just yet.

What about you? Do you want more of these types of books?

No comments:

Post a Comment