Wednesday, June 5, 2024

It's Okay to Say I Don't Know

Yesterday, my formatter e-mailed me. Another client of hers was worried about their distributor and how long it took before their book would go live on retailer sites.

I don't use this particular distributor, so I was honest. I replied, "I don't know."

People today are so afraid of that three-word phrase. They don't want to be seen as incompetent. They're worried about their image, especially if they've built up their image as a  guru.

But here's the thing--no one knows everything. And it's okay.

The rest of my response is also important--I said, "Let me check around and see if I can find out."

Sure enough, I got an answer fairly quickly, but as I opened my e-mail app to reply, I got another e-mail from my formatter that said, "Never mind."

The other client had a bad case of nerves. I'm assuming it was their very first release. Publishing a book for the first time is incredibly fraught for any writer, whether it be trad or indie. The anxiety and fear can be a little overwhelming for any writer, new and experienced. I'm not giving the other client a hard time. Hell, I've been there.

But the important thing is neither our formatter nor I gave the newbie some bullshit answer. We both said we're not sure, but let us check with our sources.

By being honest, trust is built in the relationship. And if someone can't handle an "I don't know" from their co-workers, they're probably not someone you want to work with anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment